When I was a kid, my favorite ice cream shop was always the one closest to my house. It was next to the park and my friends and I were able to ride our bikes or walk there so we didn’t have to ask our parents to drive us.
No one ever bothered to learn the actual name of the place because everyone knew it as, “the spot next to the park.” You couldn’t miss it. Almost every night there would be families and soccer teams crowded around one of the few tables or sitting in the grass.
The ice cream spot in my town is one of those places that makes it feel like it’s actually summer when it opens for the season.
Some of my co-workers’ favorite ice cream places range from franchises to one-of-a-kind mom and pop shops. Here are the creameries and some of their flavors or specialties!
And no matter what anyone says – a trip to the ice cream shop can be part of an adequate diet. Moderation is key. You can always ask for a kiddie cone, opt for low-fat frozen yogurt or consider walking or riding your bike to the ice cream place.
CENTRAL NEW YORK REGION
- Peter’s Polar Parlor: Blueberry, red raspberry sherbet, watermelon sherbet, pistachio soft serve, very berry twist
- Sno Top: Trash can sundae, lemon dole whip, gourmet sundaes, gourmet slurries
- Big Dip: Homemade ice cream, twin berry twist, peanut butter chocolate twist, sunset twist (orange and lemon dole whip), shark attack sundae, homemade whipped cream
- The Ice Cream Stand: Variety of organic/vegan/non-GMO ice cream flavors, toasted marshmallow toppers
- Bev’s Dairy Treat: Brownie sundae, banana split, ice cream twists
- Broadway Café & Arctic Island: Gelato, pineapple dole whip, burgundy cherry ice cream, multiple sherbet flavors
- Gannon’s Ice Cream: Homemade hard ice cream, chocolate raspberry truffle, crème brulee, peanut butter perfection.
FINGER LAKES REGION
- Tom Wahl’s: Twin kissed soft serve, root beer float, orange float, homemade root beer
- Shark’s Ice Cream: Chocolate butter fudge, orange pineapple, almond joy
- Russell’s Ice Cream: Ice cream cakes, weekly new flavors, dole whip
- Lugia’s Ice Cream: Bittersweet sinphony, cannoli, deep sea treasure
- Village Ice Cream Shop (VICS): Black raspberry, vanilla and chocolate soft serve custard flavors
- Papa Jack’s Grill and Ice Cream: Cookie monster and chocoholic sundaes; frozen custard, frozen yogurt, ice cream pies/cakes and milkshakes
- Bruster’s: All ice cream made on site. Chocolate raspberry truffle, white turtle, free doggie sundaes. On Thursdays, bring your own banana and get half off a banana split
- Pittsford Farms Dairy and Bakery: Mint chocolate chunk, cookie monster, homemade chocolate milk
- Mercer’s Dairy: Five percent alcohol by volume wine ice cream, 10 soft serve flavors, and 30 hard serve flavors. All ice cream made on site
- Maxwell’s Chocolates and Ice Cream: Grasshopper sundae, muddy polar bear, half moon milkshake
- Nicky Doodles: 50 flavors of soft serve ice cream, 30 flavors of hard ice cream, 28 specialty sundaes
- Ward’s Drive-In: Sorbet, black raspberry frozen yogurt, campfire s’mores ice cream
- Big Top Ice Cream: Superbowl sundae, turtle sundae, strawberry shortcake with homemade biscuits
- Lickity Split Ice Cream Shoppe: Ice cream cakes, milk shakes, bubble tea
- Jones Humdinger: Blueberry cheesecake, oreo joe, cookie dough, peppermint patty
Did we miss your favorite creamery? Add it to the comments section below!
Latest posts by Christine Leavenworth (see all)
- 22 Ice Cream Shops to Check Out This Summer - June 27, 2017
- How I Learned to Avoid Drive-Thrus and Eat Healthier on a Budget - January 20, 2017
- Fighting Cancer: A Teenager’s Story of Courage - December 23, 2016