Latest posts by Erika Gruszewski (see all)
- Healthy Snacking Tips from a Football Party Veteran - February 2, 2022
- Why I Will Be in Line for A Flu Shot This Year - February 21, 2021
- Small Steps to Prevent Big Falls: Protecting Older Adults from Injury - February 20, 2021
- 2 tbsp butter * or olive oil
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced (you can also substitute a shallot or small red onion based on your tastes or what you have on hand)
- 2 apple diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lb ground sausage (ground turkey or pancetta also works well!)
- salt and pepper
- Brown the meat in butter or olive oil. Once browned, remove the meat from the pan.
- Stir in the sweet potato and onion, scraping up the meaty bits off the bottom of the pan. A splash of water, apple cider or apple juice on the bottom of the hot pan will help this process and add a nice flavor.
- Saute the sweet potato and onion until soft, about 10 minutes. (Speed trick - you can soften your sweet potatoes by throwing them into boiling water on the stove or in a microwave safe dish until fork tender).
- Once your sweet potatoes are fork tender, stir in the diced apple. Stir this around until the apples get soft, about four to five minutes.
- Once your veggies are fork tender, stir the sausage back in. Add the cinnamon, maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste. Cook together about three to five minutes or until everything looks happily married.
- Enjoy! It’s delicious on its own or with a fried or poached egg on top.