- 2.5 cups water (or low/no-salt added chicken broth)
- 1 cup brown rice (or whatever rice is in your pantry, barley, quinoa, or oatmeal)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (or 6 tbsp tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, or salsa)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning (or cilantro, basil, oregano, or dried dill)
- Place all ingredients except Italian seasoning into a medium-sized pot on the stove. Heat on medium high, whisking until tomato paste is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cover, and then simmer. After about 10 minutes of simmering, stir, and then check again after 15 minutes, stir, and reduce heat to low.
- After 20 minutes, stir, and check again. If the rice is cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. If it is not cooked, cover and cook for five more minutes. After 25 minutes, stir and check again. If it is still not done, let it cook for five more minutes, and by 30 minutes, it should be done, with almost all the water absorbed into the rice. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and serve.
Makes 8 servings. A serving is ½ cup. Each serving provides about 92 calories, 0.5 g fat (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 19.5 g carbohydrates, 1 g sugar, 1 g fiber, and 2 g protein.